Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Dizzed and confused

dizzed and confused

posted on #1
seriouss
Mitglied
Hi wikiloopers,

I have the strong impressions that I am a little disliked in this sacred community.

If it is only my terrible drumplay :D please ignore this query and forget it.

If I somehow hurt somebody’s feelings I am really sorry. I am sure all other people's intentions here are pure and white as christmas snow. I can't really remember having said or done anything against other members.

But since everybody seems to know better than me what my (bad) intentions are, maybe you can tell me? I think that would be only fair and keeps me from writing more sarcastic comments on Dicks Forum.

For all buddie’s , haps, chaps, pals and bro’s ( sorry , I really hate that) my name is Oliver.

If I don’t get anything, you will be rid of me.
Means if you don't mind that I am still download templates.B)

Surely I will donate again because I think its a great thing, only if the people dislike me so much maybe its no real fun….

If you say its my horrible drumplay than i will continue to torment you and you will have to live with it. Sorry for playing to templates already in use. I will try to avoid, but its not easy since all are very busy playing which is more than understandable for me but provokes my jealousy, since i am often only home one day and spent most of the week banned into stupid hotel rooms where I can only listen but not be part of it.

cheers :(

So long B)
posted on #2
Dick Supporter
I'm confused about this post, especially about the "[i]since everybody seems to know my intentions...[/i]".
Have we missed something that would have needed a moderators review?
This is the wikiloops forum by the way, not "Dicks forum".
You say you "dont get anything" - what do you expect to get?
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #3
Dick Supporter
... just checked your recent uploads - Oliver, you are getting some quite positive feedback, so again I wonder about the reasons for writing above post.
Some of your statements seem to have some ironic / sarcastic taste to them, maybe I just don't get your humor?
You have made similar posts before, stating you felt sort of degraded as an edrum player - I dont know why you have those feelings, do you? Blaming wikiloops seems... somewhat odd tbh.
posted on #4
seriouss
Mitglied
Hi Dick , I did not mean to address you personally in the thread. I think I said "hi wikiloopers".
Like I tried to say before it is not important and you may delete the thread.
There is nothing bad tp say about wikiloops. Everything works perfect and is highly addictive.

If somebody say there is no competition, then I maybe you have to ask why there are the thumbs.
This does not necessarily mean this idea is bad.
Just not right to say it is not. I dont want to be the snake in paradise.

Rock on wikiloopers !!
posted on #5
Rickplayer
Mitglied
Hey there Oliver,

I hope I personally myself have offended you in any way. I give you compliments on the tracks you have added that I have posted. If I have let me know so I can make it right with you we are all here to have fun.

Dave
posted on #6
seriouss
Mitglied
Defintely not Rick. Your templates are open for all. Thats the impression I have. Thks for your templates.
posted on #7
Dick Supporter
Once read a book about a man who went out to make a list on "how to be happy",
"[i]Don't compare yourself with others[/i]" was item three on his list as far as I can recall :)
If you feel the displayed thumb-count creates competition which again makes you feel bad...
then I'd say you are over-valuing that number.
The amount of thumbs people receive is related to quite a lot of non-musical aspects, p.e. I myself receive a lot of thumbs just because I happen to be the site admin. I'm quite aware that's not related to my bass playing skills :)
You may as well compare the number of listeners on a track with the thumbs received and calculate a thumbs per listener average, which will put things in perspective in another way again - none of that will give you reliable feedback on your "value" around here.

There actually is no option to find the "most thumbed" track on WL, I happen to know which one it is, but there is deliberately no place on wikiloops where that is celebrated.

Theres a zillion things in life where one could feel depressed because other people seemingly get more attention, salary or reputation, drive bigger cars, live in bigger houses... I truly don't think focusing on that too much makes much sense.
posted on #8
seriouss
Mitglied
Surely I am a little oversensitive and hdoes not really relate to the number of thumbs i get for a template. Its just starting to think if I may hurt someones feeling if I play to this or that.
For example I read through the lines that the drummers don't like you playing twice on a template. For me that is no problem. I really dont have the intention to compete with anybody. But this is the impression I have. So it is not really a musical vote for the thing I did, than more an okay, that people are okay with that. I dont want to ruin anybody's masterpiece. Later maybe the guys he wanted to hear on that track will not play to it.
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #9
Rickplayer
Mitglied
I kinda get what you are saying and the way I take the wikiloops tracks is I will try to play on any track and if it doesn't sound good to me I won't post it til I am satisfied. And I will play on a track that already has a bass line added from someone else. We are all musicians here if we was considered professional we would be out touring with a band like the other bands. for me its not the number of thumbs or how many listen to the tracks I put on the wiki its all about having this great site to play with other musicians without have to get together with others in a garage to practice songs to play. here you can play whatever and whenever.
posted on #10
seriouss
Mitglied
That will probably the right way to do it. No more discussions about that. Just sometimes strange response. You play something more spontaneous people will love it,....practice it a long time, its ignored.
BUt you are surely right thats the right way to do it. No experiments. A lot to consoder after all......B)
posted on #11
DannyK
Mitglied
My practice @ wikiloops: I don't consider thumbs a rating [i]per se[/i]. Instead I use it as a thanks (for the time, effort, etc.). As Dick hinted at there's a correlation between popularity and amount of thumbs given. I've noticed rarer instruments get more likes - harmonica, sax, etc. Also, almost every track has something nice to be said about it and that's what I do. I leave the critiquing to others unless it's asked for (which was one time). If I want competition I'll go back to Guitar Wars. Also, I'll add to a track whether or not someone else has already. If I like the song I'll write a riff for it. I don't listen to other bass players' takes at first so that I know my riffing is unique. I know nothing about the drum world here but the bassists are all pretty cool. I personally wish more drummers would add more solo tracks that were structured and not just a jam. What a challenge it is to write a bass line against solo drums! And I love a challenge.

It's tough to change initial impressions but stick around a bit, okay? :)
posted on #12
seriouss
Mitglied
Very much thks for the reply. I personally also try not to listen to a drumtrack on a template before playing it. For solo drums is an effort to play alone especially structured. In future i will also try to do that.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
posted on #13
seriouss
Mitglied
Very much thks for the reply. I personally also try not to listen to a drumtrack on a template before playing it. For solo drums is an effort to play alone especially structured. In future i will also try to do that.
posted on #14
mpointon Supporter
seriouss wrote:
[i]Very much thks for the reply. I personally also try not to listen to a drumtrack on a template before playing it. For solo drums is an effort to play alone especially structured. In future i will also try to do that.[/i]

I do the same. If other drummers have posted on a template, I don't listen to their efforts until after I've done mine. Partly because I find it interesting to hear other interpretations after I've tried my own brain on it, but mostly because I don't want drummers to think I'm ripping off their ideas! If I come up with the same thing as someone else, it's pure coincidence! I lack confidence in my own ability, in truth, but I just have to hit 'publish' and hope for the best.

I'm a little confused as to what's worrying you as this place has been nothing but welcoming, fun and honest for me. I will admit I struggle to keep on top of everyone's upload activity and regularly feel guilty that I'm just not listening enough to others' splendid work - I will try and keep on top of my feed better in the future but I always end up with a backlog of things I want to listen to and therefore regularly miss stuff.. It's certainly nothing personal to you or anyone else here - just my own idleness! I love your playing, approach and style and certainly have nothing bad to say of it. Please keep them coming. Without your input, I'd certainly learn less - I'm constantly impressed and amazed at what other drummers upload here and my drumming life would be duller without it, let alone WikiLoops'.

I too always doubt the quality of my uploads/playing as I don't really edit or correct them - just bash through and leave it as is, unless the mistakes are truly awful but not awful enough to warrant another take. I feel almost like a fraud if I go back and artificially correct my playing.

You're far braver than me doing solo drum uploads - I feel so exposed doing those.
posted on #15
seriouss
Mitglied
Hi,
thks for your message. People are surely all happy to have you here. Well lack of confidence is the last i would have suspected to hear from you. I think your drumplay is very professional and always a win for the templates you play to. the reasons for me, not to listen to other drumtracks before having played to a track are exactly same you mentioned. I am also scared to upload a single drumtrack because I am always unhappy with the quality of my playing.
posted on #16
Rickplayer
Mitglied
For me as a musician on wikiloops I will listen to a track and play the bass the way I feel is right for the track. I will listen to what each musician will add to a track. And the way I see the wikiloop site is a place to play music in any style. If you listen to any group professional or not you hear the many styles of playing. Take a cover band for instance, They take a song and play that song they hear it. Same for the way songs come together here on the wikiloops. We all listen to the tracks here and add what we think sounds right for that track, even if you feel someone else has added a better addition or not. It's all about the fun of playing. The way I take the wikiloops is everyone is equal no one is better than another. It all comes down to an individuals taste in how to add to a track.This is just my opinion on how the wikiloops works for me.
posted on #17
mpointon Supporter
seriouss wrote:[i]
I am also scared to upload a single drumtrack because I am always unhappy with the quality of my playing.[/i]

Me too. We're all our own worst critic - I certainly am! I only have to hear a misplaced snare hit here or a bad tom hit there, an open hi-hat not hit true and I just think it's not good enough. There've been tracks which I've been fortunate have played on which have turned into great pieces, but all I hear is where I'm not quite on the beat or a rushed fill!

It drives me mad. I then have to remind myself I compete with machines and sequencers which can quantise - I cannot and should not expect myself to be that precise but I still do! I could edit everything I do to correct those imperfections but then I feel like I'm cheating (apart from the sheer amount of time it would take!) - I'm presenting myself as the musician I'm not, if that makes sense. I have to remind myself people want the humanity! And my drumming is improving week-on-week contributing here because I'm constantly exposed to new challenges and new music. You can practice forever but you cannot beat working with other players.

The hardest thing with drum-only uploads for me is doing something interesting! We can structure it, yes, but ultimately, our job is to keep time for everyone else so posting 3 minutes of four-on-the-floor may seem boring or unoriginal to me or you but it's actually what we do and what most other musicians want. Give people well-played time, and a track comes to life. Three minutes of soloing is going to attract no one. That's why I mostly join other jams, I work best when other musicians guide me!

Sorry, I'm going on a bit here. I'll stop now.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I was saved in wikiloops. When I was going to quit the music I met here.
Keiton from Costa Rica

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Erfahre mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen.