Home » Forum » Developers blog »
Summer news 2017

summer news 2017

Hey there, fellow wikiloopers!

Anyone else wondering where the first half of 2017 went?
It did pass quite quickly on my end of wikiloops,
and I've been considering to feature a "too busy to blog" sign here in the meantime...
but for the sake of keeping this project-log up to date, here are at list some of the recent doings & events in the wikiloops engine room:

First of all -and seriously for the record- a big thanks needs to be given to Ms.Shi, Mr.Bee, Mr.TeeGee, Mr.DannyK and Mr.Jrukkers for tending to most of the moderation tasks during the past three months - that freed a lot of my time, which I was able to invest into developing the next wikiloops version, which is slowly moving towards a BETA state after four months of intensive coding.

Let me just mention two notable changes which are already in effect today, the first being the new email format used in notification emails which are now sent out via a professional external mailing service.
This was a quite necessary step to take to avoid emails ending in spam folders, there is just limits to how many mails you are allowed to send from a private server, and we've scratched these too often.
The second is not yet in effect on the current site but also worth mentioning.
We ran short on server storage about four weeks ago, and after considering the various options to alter the server environment, I ended up deciding to do away with the always-around-the-corner storage shortage for good by moving from renting more and more single servers to using a professional cloud.
What does that mean for non-coders? Instead of thinking in single harddrive volumes which tend to be full at some point, I have been moving the mp3 files to a server which provides virtually unlimited disk space by using as many physical drives as needed, adding more space as it is demanded.
After about 12 days of non-stop uploading, I'd guess the whole archive should be moved to the cloud in about 11 more days(!).
Once that is established, we will introduce a geolocation functionality which will route you to the cloud server closest to you, be it Frankfurt, Germany, Ohio, USA or Melbourne, Australia, which will improve streaming speed immensly, especially down under.

As you can tell, it is not getting boring on the developers end, and I'll spare you many a tale of my odyssees in code & tech...

Before I go, two more things really quick:
1st - I need to give another HELP call towards anyone who can help on translating the interface changes... I believe we are covered for english, german and french, I have faith portoguese and spanish can be done somehow, but I really need assistance on the italian and the russian I've that shall move along... any help would be much appreciated, get in touch with me if you'd like to join our efforts.

2nd - I'm really happy about the growing participants list for the wikiloops member meeting 2017. Here's another "final call", if you would like to reserve yourself a bed in Steinfeld, head over to the blue iguana forum quickly and make sure to enter the doodle list.

Wishing you folks a happy sunday, and thanks for all the music & all the support towards wikiloops!

stats of the day:
85.282 tracks online
49.109 members registerred
306 supporting members
TeeGee
The older you get the faster time flies B) +1
Posted on

Founder of
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
If only Wikiloops was around when I was younger, I would be a lot richer as a musician. I,ts great to share. Thanks Wikiloops.
MalCo from Ireland

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Erfahre mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen.