Home » Forum » Feedback and Suggestions »
Request: playback directly from search results

Request: playback directly from search results

posted on #1
Gastric
Mitglied
It would be great if I could initiate playback directly from the search results list in addition to a click-thru to the full page with all of the various remixes / sessions.

For example, on the main page click "the latest jams" and you have a nice, short, easy to scroll list of the jams. I'd like to be able to click a Play button and listen to them without having to dive back-and-forth.

Perhaps reuse the Newsfeed format where the Play button is exposed and expands the frame with more UI real estate. You can still click-thru to the full page.
posted on #2
Dick Supporter
Hey,
Valid point there!
My main concern in designing the search result -> track -> back flow was to make sure people actually listen and hopefully interact with tracks.
If it was possible to listen to tracks on the search results, people would fly-by tracks a lot quicker than they do today, and I'd assume the comment / thumb interaction rate would drop significantly.
What I have been considering for quite some time would probably work best on touchscreen devices, but might be possible to do on the desktop page as well is something like this:
If one would assemble the two pages search & current track next to each other, lets say track on the left and search on the right, and make sure the visitor actually sees only one of them, but may switch vertically between both,
then you would have a navigation like p.e.:
user visits search, sets filters -> clicks on track, screen swipes to the left -> track is displayed in left frame with a handle/button to sweep back right -> users clicks handle, track stops and screen swipes back to the search results...

does that make any sense so far? It would definetly save some loading times and have a bit more of an app-feel to it I guess - maybe I'll draft something like that sometime to see if that really feels like an improvement.
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #3
Gastric
Mitglied
The current Newsfeed provides access to thumbs/comments directly. I mostly came to this line of thought when trying to listen to the "the latest jams". I literally just wanted to quickly preview the very latest sessions/mixes posted. But I have to dive back-and-forth and it's mildly tedious.

* Open "the latest jams"
* Scroll down a few jams
* Click one
* It opens and starts playing
* Add thumbs and/or comments if you want
* You want to go back to the list so you click browser Back (I'm using Chrome on a Mac)
* "the latest jams" page opens again, but you're back at the very top of the list instead of where you left off
* Scroll back to wherever it was you were in the list
* Repeat

Contrast that with how it would work if used the Newsfeed style.

* Open "the latest jams"
* Scroll down a few jams
* Click the Play button which is right there in the feed
* The frame expands and the track starts playing
* Add thumbs and/or comments if you want
* You can keep scrolling through the list while the previous jam is still playing (woooooo!!!)
* Click Play on a totally different jam
* The frame expands, the previous tracks stops playing, and the new track starts playing

Very smooth and fast.

It would seem to work perfectly for "the latest jams" specifically.

I'm not sure how well it would work for searches. That would take a bit more thought. As a new user I'm doing a lot of searching trying to find tracks that have drums + other instruments but no bass. In "the latest jam" various jams against the same session show in that list so you can't really miss anything by not going to the main session page and seeing the full remix lists.

But I haven't done enough searching to see if that same thing happens in search results, but I thought it only included one result for the overall session regardless of how many remixes matched your search parameters, thus you could potentially miss remixes that meet your criteria if you DO NOT specifically open the main session page. So the Newsfeed layout might not actually work with search results.

Here's a screenshot of my Newsfeed as an example of the awesome UI there.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/08wbfq9u1hvgycr/Screen%20Shot%202016-04-27%20at%209.03.24%20AM.png?dl=0[/img]
posted on #4
Dick Supporter
erm... no need to send me a screenshot of the newsfeed, I believe I know what that looks like :D

for checking the latest jams, you might be interested in the small but usefull flip-arrows, as
explained [url=http://www.wikiloops.com/help.php?page_id=59]here[/url], just to make sure you have not missed them.

Will think about the rest a little, thanks for the input :)
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
The thing about wikiloops is the incredible people willing to share their creations with the world purely for their love for music. It's priceless!
Riky from Portugal

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Erfahre mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen.