Audition!

posted on #1
ChrisB
Administrator
Next weekend I have my first proper audition with a local band \o/

They sent me a load of their songs to learn, which I have done and I can play them all well (in my opinion at least). The basslines are very simple, almost all of them are just root notes, playing straight eighths or quarters so technique/ability isn't going to be a problem.

They are all pretty experienced guys who have been gigging together for years so I'm a little nervous about it as I'm going to be jumping straight in to an established band. Anyone got any suggestions or good advice for a complete newbie about to take a very big step?

Chris
posted on #2
RickyMadison
Mitglied
Bring a pack of beer or coffee if it's in the morning ... !

No seriously, you got great skill, even if you do a little error here and there, you'll be able to improvise something else that will fit ... ! And like you said, song we're easy... Learn them first, practice them well with the band, once it's done and sounding really great just put a bit of your '' own sound '' in it !

Good luck mate ! Give us some info about it, i'd be glad to hear some material of this band with you !

Cheers,

-Rick
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #3
ChrisB
Administrator
Cheers man! I'm looking forward to it :)

I'm meeting up with them on Sunday evening after work so I'll know more then - I'll post some links here if it goes well...

Chris
posted on #4
simmerdown
Mitglied
good luck!
posted on #5
ChrisB
Administrator
Cheers dude! Fingers crossed....
+1
posted on #6
Dick Supporter
hey Chris!
theese guys should be happy to have you - first, you are a really good bassplayer in my opinion (i still have doubts you really only play for a year, man!)
second: if you prelistened and checked out some tracks, they should be even happier - if you can play half of their rudimentary songs, they'll have to show some respect for the effort you put into that. Tell them you are not going to play wild solos at first, if thats cool with theese guys, all is fine.
They need a bottom end - you can do that - they should be glad man! Just look at what this band is needing, they propably dont need a front row bassman wo does the show :) Last advice: try not to stare at your fretboard all the time, place yerself close to the drummer and try to get it down tight with him...

let us know how it went, fingers crossed!
posted on #7
ChrisB
Administrator
Thanks man, appreciate it!

You're making me nervous about looking at the fretboard now though ;)

I checked the receipt I got when I bought my bass and practice amp - it says 02/09/2010 so I've actually been playing just over 18 months now hehehe
posted on #8
simmerdown
Mitglied
18 mos! me too...i need to practice more, less ableton, LOL

you'll do great i'm sure, deep breaths!

(personally i wouldnt bring beer or "anything" else..let them offer after, you need all your wits about you, just my .02)
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #9
ChrisB
Administrator
I'll be driving there straight from work tomorrow so taking a slab of beer is probably a bad idea anyway. Amp's in the car already, just need to remember to pick up my bass tomorrow morning...
posted on #10
ChrisB
Administrator
Man, that was awesome!
My ears are still ringing, really need to sleep but I'm still buzzing :D
posted on #11
Ben
Mitglied
glad to hear that. wish you all the best with that band.

my advice for your ears: EARPLUGS!

use them. or your ears wont stop ringing
posted on #12
ChrisB
Administrator
Couldn't agree more! I've got some nice 3M "musicians" earplugs which work really well but it's a small room and there are 6 of us so I still had a bit of ringing afterwards. Fine this morning though :)
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
posted on #13
Dick Supporter
watch out man, wasted ears=wasted life...
+1
posted on #14
ChrisB
Administrator
So I got the gig \o/

I'm now the bass player for [url=https://www.facebook.com/isc.music]Instant Social Conversion[/url] - an indie/rock band based in Milton Keynes in the UK :)

It's still early days but material for an album is already written and mostly recorded so I just need to learn the bass parts and get good enough to start gigging in the summer.

I have a feeling this is going to be pretty awesome....
posted on #15
ToadCruncher
Mitglied
Glad to hear it Chris, I love Wikiloops but there is no substitute for being on stage with the band. I sat in with two bands this past St Patrick Day, one Irish folk duo in the afternoon and Blues and Pop in the evening. It really brings out the best when it goes right. im still buzzin!:)
posted on #16
Pete-Silence
Mitglied
Congrats Chris. Playing in a band is something totally different. So much fun !!!
Is there a Link that we can listen to a song of the band maybe ?

Greetz
posted on #17
ChrisB
Administrator
There's a couple of tracks on [url=http://soundcloud.com/instantsocialconversion]soundcloud[/url] - they're not finished versions (one of them clips really badly) and it's not me playing bass on them :(

The first one doesn't even have bass guitar on it so I'll get to chill and have a beer during that bit!

I like some of the other tracks more, I'll post links here when they're uploaded...
posted on #18
Pete-Silence
Mitglied
don't need jesus is a great track.
The electronic influence of the sound is awesome. Great if you guys play it like this live !
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
posted on #19
ChrisB
Administrator
Cheers man, that's one of the tracks we rehearsed - I'm really pleased with how good it sounded playing it live too. The whole project should really start to take off towards the end of next month... :)
posted on #20
Pete-Silence
Mitglied
http://www.myspace
.com/kissmyblues99

Pete-Silence
04/18/2012
next gig i play with this band because their guitar player is sick.I'm sorry for the guitar player but the band is cool.Can't wait to play the gig

Greetz
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Cheerz to the non-commercial site for music-lovers!
will_C from Germany

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Erfahre mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen.