Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Stravinsky, clusters, and their relevance to today's music

Stravinsky, clusters, and their relevance to today's music

posted on #1
wjl Supporter
Sometimes I just like to watch David Bruce, a composer who really can explain things so that they can be understood. Take this for instance as an example:

[youtube]fGYWebr_6cg[/youtube]

Interesting without question. But you might ask what that has to do with modern music, or why it should be important today. Or you might even say that you don't read music, and therefore aren't interested. Well - one of today's really great bass players can't read as well as he says - and still knows it when he plays Stravinsky in a number 1 hit:

[youtube]TRjiMN2qJHI[/youtube]

I wish I had Youtube or other learning methods like this when I was younger... so enjoy :)

Cheers,
Wolfgang
+7
posted on #2
GemmyF
Mitglied
Was watching a "young piano & violin international competition" several years ago in my city and 2nd place winner for violin played a Stravinsky piece with a piano player as an accompaniment and was realizing that Igor was the First Prog-Rock Star --- I was hearing so much influence by him on today's most creative music(not the defiling pop) ---- Thom York and Company would have loved to play with Stravinsky --as it seemed this piece the young man was playing by Igor seemed like a Radiohead piece.
+4
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #3
Wade Supporter
Stravinsky is one of my heroes. The Rights Of Spring still blows my mind even though I studied it enough for it to not be a mystery. At around 12 years old I got a copy of the full score (in miniature form). Seeing the construction while hearing the music was amazing. Everything in it was a break from the past and not for the sake of just being different. Rhythms, harmonies, melodies, everything was mind blowing and original. I like the David Bruce video about him as he didn't try to analyze too much and let Stravinsky just be seen for what he was. A unique voice that composed as he heard the music in his head rather than relying on the current conventions of composition. He will always be a guiding light in terms of leaving behind conventions to follow your inner voice.
+5
posted on #4
TeeGee Supporter
GemmyF wrote:
Was watching a "young piano & violin international competition" several years ago in my city and 2nd place winner for violin played a Stravinsky piece with a piano player as an accompaniment and was realizing that Igor was the First Prog-Rock Star --- I was hearing so much influence by him on today's most creative music(not the defiling pop) ---- Thom York and Company would have loved to play with Stravinsky --as it seemed this piece the young man was playing by Igor seemed like a Radiohead piece.

http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Igor_Stravinsky

Zappa was influenced by him
+3
posted on #5
GemmyF
Mitglied
see track description in relation to Igor[wl]158061[/wl]
+1
posted on #6
GrooveEnth
Mitglied
I love the bit at 1:45 where Pino says he was embarrassed when he heard it mixed so high! :D
+3
posted on #7
wjl Supporter
Yeah, Pino is a great guy, GE.

Just found another interesting video mentioning the Stravinsky theme used everywhere:

[youtube]M9OugB2QpUg[/youtube]

Enjoy :)
+1
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
The thing about wikiloops is the incredible people willing to share their creations with the world purely for their love for music. It's priceless!
Riky from Portugal

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Erfahre mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen.