African Music

posted on #1
Administrator
I love African music... I don't listen to it every day but once in a while I do enjoy it. I always loved the blues, which has its roots in African music, so it is clear where it comes from.

So today I was listening to Ali Fark Toure (I will come back to him another time), but then youtube continued to the next album, and I found myself listening to this wonderful vibrant African artist, I never heard anything about him, but it is a very cool album from 1973! Afrobeat style, a mixture of jazz, soul, funk, African rhythms and melodies - in short, give it a listen you'll not regret it!

To read about Fela go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fela_Kuti

[youtube]0TbwNDhdOWU[/youtube]
Edited by TeeGee on Mai 29 2019 13:07
posted on #2
Mitglied
never noticed how this sounds really African -- but after listening some to The Funkees -- this was one of the choices
[youtube]-Xic-CHInek[/youtube]
Edited by Leftdaloops1019 on Mai 29 2019 17:47
posted on #3
User Avatar Supporter
[wl]102727[/wl]

Text in Zulu... pronunciation ?
Edited by Tofzegrit on Mai 29 2019 23:17
posted on #4
Administrator
Tofzegrit wrote:
[wl]102727[/wl]

Text in Zulu... pronunciation ?

Wow you did a great Afrobeat track there, wel done!!!
posted on #5
Mitglied
[youtube]g2Redz1zNFg[/youtube]

[youtube]VsmXtgdKVH4[/youtube]

[youtube]xZiHcj4KKIQ[/youtube]

when I think of African I think of a less Western-ized influence --other than the electric guitar in the 2nd piece
and the relentless groove of the 3rd piece and the really "different" sounding vocal lines ---(imagine hearing for the first time and never hearing reggae) Reminds me of old Mexican folk music
Edited by Leftdaloops1019 on Juni 17 2019 18:21
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
Fela was more than a fantastic musician, he was politically involved and had a few problems when he decided to declare his home an independant place called the Kalakuta Republic where you could find a free hospital. The story of this man really deserves a movie !

A lot of his songs are about his political life.
The more you learn, the less you know !
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
nuno1959 from Portugal

"Best atmosphere, GREAT music & cheapest, most fun music lessons ever.. ;) It's a very cool place !"

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Lies mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen .