Home » Forum » Hey there... »
Yet another new guy....and a question about uploads

Yet another new guy....and a question about uploads

posted on #1
WiltonDrummer Supporter
Hi all. I am new to wikiloops as of maybe a week or so ago, and have been reading tutorials and listening around a bit to get he feel of the place. I like it.

This service is exactly what I was looking for! I've been totally away from making any music for a very LONG time (1973 was my last real recording/gigging/playing). Recently I discovered "Playing For Change"...and a combination of the technology in use to make that work, plus the quality of the music kind of "dragged me back in" to wanting to play a bit again. Effectively, wikiloops IS the kind of technology idea that Playing For Change is using to record their tracks. And wikiloops is international, which is really nice too (I've done a lot of international artist residencies over the years).

Quick background.... I'm a drummer, former FT pro. From those days, I'm pretty familiar with OLD time analog TAPE type recording studios and mixing panels and patching and such. (Main career now, I'm a visual artist.)

I have recorded and uploaded my first remix to a base tracks song here... and something happened in the process that I don't fully understand. I've looked in the knowledge base for the answer, but I can't find it. So if someone can clarify my understanding OF the process, I'd really appreciate it. I certainly want to do things "right" on here.

I found a track I wanted to work on. There were TWO musicians that had recorded on that piece. I downloaded the mixed track and the two HD single instrument tracks that were from the other two people. I put them into my DAW, and recorded my addition. Saved the new mix and my new HD soloed track.

Then I went to the upload screen. I followed the prompts best I could, and reached the end of that process. I hit "publish".

Now here is where it gets a little strange, at least to ME. I expected that addition which I did to be "appended" on the tree's thread to follow the second musician's remix thread in the stuff I had downloaded. BUT.... between the time that I had downloaded the files, and the time I uploaded the files, someone ELSE had just uploaded a remix to the song, and that remix of theirs was appended to the second musician's mix file. And MY upload then got appended to THAT person's upload...... who happened to also be a drummer. So that created a bit of a weird "layout".

So, how do I make sure that does not happen again? Did I do something wrong in my upload procedure? Or is this some form of "glitch" in the system?

Appreciate any possible information someone can give me. Thanks in advance.

best,

..................john
+1
posted on #2
PaulBOwens
Mitglied
Look for the track number of the file you downloaded John: Append your addition to that exact track number. Then you should see your branch in parallel to the other drummers branch... or indeed all other adds to that track . Don't about doing things right here. I've been doing most things wrong for years and no one has noticed :)

(Come to think of it - this advice might be wrong too.... hmmm)
+2
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #3
WiltonDrummer Supporter
Thanks for the reply Paul.

The wikiloops instructions seem to say (at least to me) to use the ROOT (starting) track number for the whole "thread". But do I actually use the track number for the COMBINED mix track I' planning on adding to instead?

I guess I'll fit right in here; I'm great at doing things wrong. :D

best,...........john
+2
posted on #4
HarpCat
Mitglied
Hi, in principle you should use the number of the track you downloaded to add your contribution to. Then your new track will appear below that one, in parallel with all other (previous or following) remix obtained from the same track.
I am not sure what happened in your case, maybe if two contributions are happening at the same time, the software go crazy. I'm also new, so someone else may have a better explanation.

In any case, welcome! This is indeed a very nice place! :)
+1
posted on #5
WiltonDrummer Supporter
Thanks for the thought.

BTW...... you play a mean harp.

best,

.............john
+1
posted on #6
PaulBOwens
Mitglied
WiltonDrummer wrote:
Thanks for the reply Paul.

The wikiloops instructions seem to say (at least to me) to use the ROOT (starting) track number for the whole "thread". But do I actually use the track number for the COMBINED mix track I' planning on adding to instead?

I guess I'll fit right in here; I'm great at doing things wrong. :D

best,...........john

I always just tag on to the track I downloaded and added to John....I never read the instructions but it seemed to make sense .....to me anyway :)
+1
posted on #7
OliVBee Supporter
Hey John ! Good to have you around :)

Yeah i think it's the id number you used to post your remix that was the wrong one ;) There's an easy workout to get rid of the right number rememberance : go to the jam page you downloaded (possibly using the id number) and played along to hit play and make sur it's the right one then hit the Remix button (next to the download button) and voilà ! Welcome to wikiloops :)
+2
posted on #8
TeeGee Supporter
Welcome John, good to have you here!! In addition to what Oiliv said, once you uploaded a track, you click on the link to have a look if it is all right. If you see that for instance you uploaded to the wrong place, or maybe you noticed that you uploaded the wrong mix, whatever, just click on the red flag next to the wave form and delete the track - and re-upload it in the correct place :) . If you do this before anyone downloads the track or remixes it, that's the best option.
+1
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #9
WiltonDrummer Supporter
OliVBee wrote:
Hey John ! Good to have you around :)

Yeah i think it's the id number you used to post your remix that was the wrong one ;) There's an easy workout to get rid of the right number rememberance : go to the jam page you downloaded (possibly using the id number) and played along to hit play and make sur it's the right one then hit the Remix button (next to the download button) and voilà ! Welcome to wikiloops :)

Thanks OliVBee.

I'd swear that the track I listend to before posting that last time WAS the correct version with the two posted tracks mixed together. BUT....... it appears that someone else posted to that same piece and track # WHILE I was uploading mine (or something like that). So when mine showed up....... mine "attached" under theirs on the tree..... not directly to the the track that I had specified. So now you had a drummer's track connected to a drummer's track.

So......in that case, I used the BASE original file number for the song/track/piece that the original FIRST poster set up as the FIRST element of the whole song thread, which is what I thought I was supposed to do. If I'm understanding you correctly, what you are saying is I should have used the file number of the SECOND poster's contribution when I posted my addition to the two postings total thread.

So say the first post in a thread for a song called "A Day In The Life" is 490778 (these are random made-up numbers) ........ and there are already a couple remixes in that song thread when I get to it. I want to add to the third remix and that remix is showing if I click on the tree view as 490735. When I upload my work, this means I should use 490735, NOT the original starting song number of 490778, correct?

If so, that idea is unclear, at least to me, in the wording of the general instructions that are available to new members that I found to go by. As a mod..... you might funnel that thought "upstairs" to the admins.

Thanks for the help in understanding this.

best,.................john
+1
posted on #10
WiltonDrummer Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
If you do this before anyone downloads the track or remixes it, that's the best option.

Thanks TeeGee.

Yeah... I may go back and try to fix that........ but I think a number of additions have already been made to that thread. Once that happens............. anything that had followed is getting kinda' "confused" as to what went before ever getting added together.

That situation seems to maybe be a difficult one.

best,...............john
+1
posted on #11
TeeGee Supporter
Yes, if additions have been made it's too late to delete. Never mind, leave it as is
+1
posted on #12
Philblues
Mitglied
Hi TeeGee :-)

I have been told that we could click on the little red flag locted on the right side of the track window, to delete the song. Hoping it helps.
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
posted on #13
TeeGee Supporter
Philblues wrote:
Hi TeeGee :-)

I have been told that we could click on the little red flag locted on the right side of the track window, to delete the song. Hoping it helps.

That is right, but it does not work if it already has been remixed... ;)
posted on #14
WiltonDrummer Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
Yes, if additions have been made it's too late to delete. Never mind, leave it as is

TeeGee,

OK.... got it.

best,.............john
+1
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I'm delighted to be able to support WikiLoops. It does so much for so many of us by bringing us all together and encouraging us to play nice and support each other. WikiLoops is how the World could be... thank you!
AnneCozean from United States

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Erfahre mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen.