Home » Forum » Recording and mixing »
Headset for mixing/mastering

Headset for mixing/mastering

posted on #1
PLUSH
Mitglied
Hi all wikiloopers...I need some advice regarding the possible purchase of a headset.
I currently use Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm in recording and am very happy with them.
However, not as much in mixing and mastering ... being closed headphones tire the ear after prolonged use and also using software to make the frequencies flatter I feel too much bass that disturbs me.
I know that mixing/mastering with headphones is not the most suitable procedure, of course, but I am forced to work in this way and then I have to try to adapt...
So I ask for an opinion: what open or semi-open headphones would you recommend with a budget around 150 € (or less obviously)?
And in your opinion a headphone preamp would give me benefits for my Beyerdynamic and possibly also for the headphones you recommend?
I already thank those of you who want to answer ... Ciao and good music!:W
posted on #2
jmrukkers
Administrator
I use the open AKG K-701 for mixing purposes, works very well. I used to use a dedicated preamp, but am now using the output from my Focusrite onterface, works great.
+3
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #3
PLUSH
Mitglied
jmrukkers wrote:
I use the open AKG K-701 for mixing purposes, works very well. I used to use a dedicated preamp, but am now using the output from my Focusrite onterface, works great.

thx man!
posted on #4
LittleWing Supporter
Last set was AKG 240.
Current set is AKG 240.
Next set is AKG 240.
posted on #5
PLUSH
Mitglied
LittleWing wrote:
Last set was AKG 240.
Current set is AKG 240.
Next set is AKG 240.

Understood!B)
Studio or MKII?
+1
posted on #6
LittleWing Supporter
PLUSH wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
Last set was AKG 240.
Current set is AKG 240.
Next set is AKG 240.

Understood!B)
Studio or MKII?

MKII
These are semi closed.
I use them because they are honest .They are proven .
I also dont have to purchase a new set if my cat gnaws the cable or an ear pad wears out. I can just buy the replacement part.
+1
posted on #7
PLUSH
Mitglied
LittleWing wrote:
PLUSH wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
Last set was AKG 240.
Current set is AKG 240.
Next set is AKG 240.

Understood!B)
Studio or MKII?

MKII
These are semi closed.
I use them because they are honest .They are proven .
I also dont have to purchase a new set if my cat gnaws the cable or an ear pad wears out. I can just buy the replacement part.

YEP!...a question: I read on the net in some reviews that the response on low frequencies is very poor ... what do you think? My fear is that being a drummer and giving much importance to low frequencies for "professional deformity" ,I can be disappointed or worse ,led to raise the bass during mastering going to unbalance everything ...
posted on #8
zedders Supporter
Headphones, headphones, headphones!
This thread has my attention because I also have DT770 pro 80 ohm, great for tracking but rather jumbled sound for mixing. Seems to me they only achieve any clarity when used loud and I don't like to do that, I already have some hearing loss and I have tinnitus. I periodically disappear down the rabbit hole of trying to work out what a good value replacement might be for mixing.

Due to this thread rekindling my interest I read a lot of 240 vs k-701 reviews and threads earlier today and the common view was that the k-701s are very good "spatially" for clearly separating the instruments (good sound stage) and more suited to mixing than the 240s which sound "narrower" in comparison. The k-701 get a lot of praise for comfort, the 240s have been around and much loved for decades. They both seem like great choices and the 240s are half the price which makes me think maybe the k-701 are probably a more precise sounding headphone which does appear to be the common view on the internet.

I'm still on the fence. lol It probably comes down to how much you (and I) are prepared to spend.

All said, everyone has different shaped ear canals, what sounds harsh to one person might sound sweet to another.
+2
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #9
PLUSH
Mitglied
ALL TRUE...you're damn right!
In the end it will always be all about the money!:@
posted on #10
zedders Supporter
PLUSH wrote:
ALL TRUE...you're damn right!
In the end it will always be all about the money!:@

For me, I also have degraded hearing so I also wonder if ...
a) better headphones would be a good thing - I need all the help I can get!
or...
b) better headphones would be a waste of money - I wouldn't hear the "goodness".

ha-ha - who knows?

Another thing is a lot of reviews seem to think the k-701 "need" a headphone amp. I didn't read that for the 240s.More expense...
+1
posted on #11
Filo974 Supporter
For my part, I have the same headphones, and I manage with VST for the end result ...
And in addition if it suits me on my Rockit 5 monitors and my Hi-Fi system, what more could you ask for ... unless you want a commercial production ...
#230449 (mixed only by DT 770 pro 80 ohm)
+1
posted on #12
zedders Supporter
Filo974 wrote:
For my part, I have the same headphones, and I manage with VST for the end result ...
And in addition if it suits me on my Rockit 5 monitors and my Hi-Fi system, what more could you ask for ... unless you want a commercial production ...
#230449 (mixed only by DT 770 pro 80 ohm)

We have almost the same - DT770 pro 80 ohm headphones, VST only - I have Yamaha 5" monitors but can only use very quietly because of where I live so most of the time I mix in headphones and DT770 are not good for this although like you, I manage. :)
+1
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
posted on #13
solozolo
Mitglied
You should check out them AKG… K-240studio on Ebay 60.00 dollars they are open back and take a while to get use to them and adjust to the sound of them …. But I believe they are a natural sound if you don’t hear it in them it not there in the monitors either …Just my opinion all ears are different …. I used to use Sure 440 a very good set of head phone for around 100.dollars .But they went poof and I had these cans akg 240 and while waiting on the sure to come in I got used to using them, Turn out a great set of cans for the money and get better when you break them in …MikeB)
+3
posted on #14
zedders Supporter
Hi there Plush - did you buy some headphones in the end?
posted on #15
PLUSH
Mitglied
Hello zedders... I haven't bought anything yet... I'm not even sure if I'll buy anything anymore... I feel that my ear is slowly getting used to translating the sound of my beyer... I think that every headphone changes the sound, so getting other headphones would mean to start again to train my ear and calibrate it to another sound... I prefer to continue to get used to the beyer and understand how they behave comparing the mixes in headphones with an external listening... I do it in the car for example...:D
posted on #16
zedders Supporter
PLUSH wrote:
Hello zedders... I haven't bought anything yet... I'm not even sure if I'll buy anything anymore... I feel that my ear is slowly getting used to translating the sound of my beyer... I think that every headphone changes the sound, so getting other headphones would mean to start again to train my ear and calibrate it to another sound... I prefer to continue to get used to the beyer and understand how they behave comparing the mixes in headphones with an external listening... I do it in the car for example...:D
True. Still, my gut feeling is that I just don't like the "Beyer" sound all that much so I'm still thinking of trying something else. Even with correction they sound so radically different to my monitors I struggle to trust what I'm hearing. Specifically they are very hyped in the high mid range (4-5k) so that my mixes turn out dull.

Do you use any of the numerous headphone mixing speaker/room emulation softwares?
posted on #17
PLUSH
Mitglied
Yes, I tried various correction software, like sonarworks...but I didn't like them; they seemed very artificial.
Now I'm using an FXChain made by a Reaper user just for my Beyer DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm (link : https://stash.reaper.fm/v/31506/ReaEQ%20Beyerdynamic%20DT770Pro%20Correction%20v03.RfxChain ) that I use in monitoring on Reaper.
I'm happy with them...give them a chance if you want....
+1
posted on #18
zedders Supporter
PLUSH wrote:
Yes, I tried various correction software, like sonarworks...but I didn't like them; they seemed very artificial.
Now I'm using an FXChain made by a Reaper user just for my Beyer DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm (link : https://stash.reaper.fm/v/31506/ReaEQ%20Beyerdynamic%20DT770Pro%20Correction%20v03.RfxChain ) that I use in monitoring on Reaper.
I'm happy with them...give them a chance if you want....

I didn't like sonaworks either when I demoed it, but I do use DSoniq RealPhones and Acustica Sienna though both have wildly different headphone correction. Sometimes I use either of those with an oratory curve. Both are quite good for checking you haven't done something crazy with the bass but I have yet to find one I'd actually mix with. One problem with headphones is that they exaggerate any spatial effect like reverb so anything that reduces the stereo field is more realistic in that sense at least. :)
+1
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
posted on #19
CI Section
Mitglied
I use Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohms. It is an open headphone, because I find it more comfortable somehow, keeping also contact to the environment. Well, it's a matter of hearing habits - I could never cope with AKG, dunno why.
+3
posted on #20
eothen
Mitglied
I also use the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohms and I'm very happy with them. For longer sessions and mixing/mastering I would always prefer open headphones over closed ones. Be aware that you need a powerful preamp/interface to run 250 Ohms (e.g. the Bus-powered Focusrite Scarlett can only handle up to 200 Ohms). Furthermore, a more quality interface will give you a more quality audio playback (that should be obvious^^). I had a Forucsrite Scarlett interface and switched to Universal Audio months ago. The difference regarding recording and playback is remarkable and IMO worth every euro.
+3
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
They are BANNING music out there. We can spread it!
jstef from Italy

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Erfahre mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen.