Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Free gear is fun gear!

Free gear is fun gear!

posted on #1
Riffraff Supporter
I got this 1980 Bassman 70 for free when I bought a pair of empty 112 cabs from a local seller. He had it in pieces in his basement and was clearing out stuff in preparation for a move. Someone had messed up a switch repair in it and it wasn't working so they pulled a few tubes for use in another amp and left it a pile of parts.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/BGnVvhl.jpg[/img]

It only took about 5 minutes to get that sorted out and fixed. I put a new set of JJ 6L6GC's and a 12AT7 in it to replace the missing tubes, fired it up and it sounds great.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ijRTRoS.jpg[/img]

Being an ultra linear amp I figured it to be clean all the way up the dial and it pretty much is the pedal platform amp I expected. A couple of days ago I hooked it up to my attenuator, cranked the normal channel's volume and the master up to 7 and hit the front end with an old Route 66 OD which is the closest thing I have to a Tube Screamer then ran the attenuator's line out into my interface so I wouldn't be shaking the walls of my house at 5 a.m. Holy smokes does this amp sing! :W
+7
posted on #2
Navota Supporter
Woow thats a great sound :J:W:J
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #3
Riffraff Supporter
I made a little video to celebrate my new toy and put 'loops track #232888. :D

[youtube]qSGwGCUYApk[/youtube]
+5
posted on #4
Riffraff Supporter
There have been a few developments since I originally posted this. It seems my attenuator is not quite up to the task of handling this amp at full attenuation. The MASS100 I'm using is good for knocking a few db's off the top of a 100W tube amp but if you are using it at the full attenuation setting like I do in order to prevent blowing my poor sweet sleeping wife out of bed at 5am you need to de-rate it to 60W. Of course the "70" in Bassman 70 stands for 70 watts. I'm also boosting it with a tube screamer type overdrive which pushes the output a little higher.

I was playing one morning and noticed a burning smell. I checked the amp and that was fine then I touched the metal box of the attenuator and it was hot enough to fry eggs on. :D I opened it up to make sure I didn't melt the insulation off of any wires or toast some resistors and everything was fine. It was likely the paint under the chassis mounted resistors in the unit. So I turned the amp down, turned the OD down and with that my enthusiasm for the amp also dropped some. :@

I thought about buying another attenuator for this amp because it has a 4 ohm output and my bigger attenuator is only good for 16 ohms. I really didn't want to buy a 3rd attenuator. That's just too much stuff to have laying around and I already have a mountain of it, believe me. Then I remembered I had a pair of 5881 tubes in my tube caddy. The 6L6GC's I was running in the amp are good for 30W each. 5881's are a shorter, stockier version of the tube with an output of 23 watts each. A lot of people use them in 6L6 powered amps to get earlier tube breakup.

So now that I had an answer I just needed to modify the amp a little so I could bias it to run 5881 tubes. The Bassman 70 has 500VDC on the plates so there aren't many 5881's out there that can handle the high plate voltage but I had a pair of JAN Sylvania 6L6WGB's which are the same thing and military spec. I figure they must be able to handle the higher voltage. JJ's look like a good fit moving forward.

I'm REALLY happy to have this amp back in rotation. I made a little video of my journey through this rabbit hole, I hope you enjoy it.

[youtube]v7kw-orblAM[/youtube]
+1
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I support wikiloops because it's a great way for musicians around the world to share ideas and not have their egos kill each other. Thanks.
abyssinal from United States

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Erfahre mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen.