Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Problems with single coil pickups

Problems with single coil pickups

posted on #1
ROBJOL Supporter
Problems with single coil pickups.

I recently bought a Harley Benton Te-52 Na LH Vintage Series guitar. It is a Telecaster with Single Coil pickups.

I use it with an NUX MG 30 modeler, connected to a Yamaha MG10 XU console and from there in a Mac with Logic Pro X.

The background noise is hellish except when I touch the guitar strings or the computer, which reduces parasitic sounds.

I replaced all the wires with quality equipment and I also installed a Power Plant ISO-5 from Harley Benton but nothing helps.

You have an idea how I can get rid of these unwanted parasites. The guitar is practically unusable in this situation.
+1
posted on #2
SoulFingers Supporter
Sounds like you need galvanic decoupling/ground lift. I experience similar problems when I connect my Jazzmaster or Tele directly to my Focusrite 2in2 that is directly connected to a MacBook Pro with the power adapter connected. If I disconnect the power adapter and run on battery, there are no unwanted noises at all. So maybe a good D.I. box could help.
+3
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #3
eothen
Mitglied
Did you use a noise gate?
+2
posted on #4
hartmut Supporter
For me "background noise is hellish" sounds good, than that's a real single coil Stratocaster typed guitar! :D :D In Switch Positions I, III, V, when only ONE single Coil is used (in difference to Switch Positions II and IV where TWO coils are simultaneously used, while being wounded against each other to balance this out). This is different on Telecaster, i've got no experience there. If I am not wrong, Humbuckers use the same "method" to prevent humming.

When changing the spatial orientation of the instrument (sit/stand differently), and turn off electric devices like lamps or electric machinery in the surrounding, you can reduce the humming a bit?

Switch Positions I, III, V are humming positions :D, but the sound is so direct/special, I would never give it up. Those are my favorites.

PS: If the problem is on the 9 Volt power supply somewhere in your signal chain, than I can recommend Boss PSA 230S .
+3
posted on #5
FrankieJ Supporter
Rob,
I imagine many possible answers exist for your question. I can only relate my own experiences with the problem.

This a common problem for single coils. Changing orientation of guitar usually helps.
With my strat and tele I usually try to angle the guitar away from computer and computer screen which helps. At which point I activate a "noise gate" to get rid of the remaining noise.
Fluorescent lighting and single coils usually cause problems too.

The fact that when you touch the strings and then touching another component in your signal chain
decreases the noise indicates a grounding and or shielding problem in my experience.

My Godin Acousticaster guitar exhibits the exact same problem you describe. I implement a ground strap attached to my wrist and then connected to the bridge of the guitar to rid the noise.
Unfortunately having to use a wrist strap indicates a problem within my guitar electronics which needs to be addressed by someone more knowledgeable than myself.

In summation, the problem could be in the electronics of your guitar.
Try using the guitar in a different environment, another room in your home or friends home as a test.

Hope you find the problem.
+3
posted on #6
LittleWing Supporter
ROBJOL wrote:
Problems with single coil pickups.

I recently bought a Harley Benton Te-52 Na LH Vintage Series guitar. It is a Telecaster Aves des Pickups Single Coil style guitar.
I use it with an NUX MG 30 model, connected to a Yamaha MG10 XU console and from there in a Mac with Logic Pro X.

The background noise is hellish except when I touch the guitar ropes or the computer, which reduces parasitic sounds.

I replaced all the wires with quality equipment and I also installed a Power Plant ISO-5 from Harley Benton but nothing helps.

You have an idea how I can get rid of these unwanted parasites on the guitar is practically unusable in this situation.

Yes,
Fender Jazz basses are known for this. Strats as well.So no matter who manufactured it , improper grounding or bad connections will become an issue with single coils .
It’s why they invented humbuckers!
If you dont want to continually mask the problem then some simple visual checks will tell you if your guitars grounding needs to be improved.

The fact that you touch the guitar in places and the noise goes away , indicates a shielding issue but lets discuss both shielding and grounding. Because shielding wont work without first checking the grounding.

Also understand that it makes a difference in the quality of your homes power if your home is built on dirt, sand, rock or lime. A home built on dirt will have cleaner power then a home built on sand. Its possible for a guitar to suddenly sound good just by plugging in elsewhere.
Single coils are antennas that will pick up electrical noise if grounding from the location you plug in at, is lacking. It also explains why the ISO5 is not helping. The ISO 5 is only as good as the electrical ground it plugs into.

First there is Conductive shielding paint. Specifically used for shielding single coil guitars.

Remove all electronics out of the cavity.
Paint the cavity with Conductive shielding paint. Make sure it is completely covered. Also do the pickup wells. It dries in minutes and a little bottle goes a long way. PAINT THE BACK OF THE COVER TOO!

This paint is very easy to work with. If you get a drop on your guitar finish, no worries.Just have a clean rag to wipe it off. Even if it dries, you can chip it off without it tearing up your guitar finish.

[img]https://www.frudua.com/immagini/electric-guitar-shielding.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.talkbass.com/attachments/76p-cavity-shielded-jpg.1502723/[/img]

Small cheap bottles of conductive paint: Also known as Guitar shielding paint.
https://www.amazon.com/BYOGuitar-BYO-BCSP-Black-Conductive-Shielding/dp/B07737LTK2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1QAS6OMCI00Y3&keywords=military+grade+guitar+shielding+paint&qid=1664610815&sprefix=military+grade+guitar+shielding+paint%2Caps%2C66&sr=8-3

As for the actual ground wires to check...

Make sure a wire is soldered from the pot cases to smashed under the bridge.
The wire is routed thru the cavity to a hole that is under the guitar bridge and is then smashed down grounding the bridge.

In the photo above , even though its a bass, that black wire will end up thru a hole to underneath the bridge and be smashed down so the bare end grounds out the bridge electrically. This concept applies to any single coil pickup.
That wire needs to be at very least checked and yes that means removing the bridge to see whats underneath it.

You should see an exposed wire like this just laying underneath the bridge. This same wire will go to a soldered point on one of your tone pots inside the cavity. It is important.
[img]https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1q6hrSHQ14U/U5kKaL-jFLI/AAAAAAAABbM/b66RHe7EveE/s1600/IMG_4388_small.JPG[/img]

A commen problem is also when you lift up the bridge to check the wire underneath it , you may find the bare exposed wires broke off the wire so the bridge has been smashing down on all insulation. Happens even on new guitars. Simply peel back some insulation and bolt your bridge back down on it

Check also that you have good solid soldered connections on all the black wires as found in this photo:

[img]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0077/1139/1857/products/wiringtele_54a1453b-5e66-4d65-a725-ec855fb190de_1200x1200.jpg?v=1610748713[/img]

Your other option is to buy noiseless singlecoil tele pickups and have them installed. More expensive option but youll still need to verify you have basic proper grounding in the guitar. No point in doing that if your grounding isnt good and you are back to your original problem.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/099-2116-000--fender-vintage-noiseless-telecaster-pickup-set

A good guitar repair place can easily do all this for a reasonable price but it isnt hard with basic soldering skills.

You should at very least inspect that you have the soldered black ground wires as in above photo. The wire going to underneath the bridge being most important.

The conductive shield paint really does work if all your ground wires are making good connection. Single coils by nature are an electrical interference antenna. Again thats why Conductive shielding paint is often used. You should be able to find a small bottle online for 10 Euros or so and that is plenty.

More manufacturers are now painting their cavity and pickup wells. It’s standard on a PRS.

Further easy reading:
https://www.fralinpickups.com/2018/11/12/understanding-guitar-grounding/
+1
posted on #7
LittleWing Supporter
Also try removing the cover of the wiring cavity. With the guitar plugged in , push on wires gently to see if noise changes or goes away. You will have a bad solder connection if it changes or goes away.
There is no electrocution hazard.......maybe.
Just kidding.
+1
posted on #8
ROBJOL Supporter
SoulFingers wrote:
Sounds like you need galvanic decoupling/ground lift. I experience similar problems when I connect my Jazzmaster or Tele directly to my Focusrite 2in2 that is directly connected to a MacBook Pro with the power adapter connected. If I disconnect the power adapter and run on battery, there are no unwanted noises at all. So maybe a good D.I. box could help.

Thanks SoulFingers. I try to disconnect the power adaptor of the computer.
+1
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #9
ROBJOL Supporter
eothen wrote:
Did you use a noise gate?

I have a noise gate in my NUX MG 30 modeler. When I make the noise disappear the sound of the guitar is no more good.
posted on #10
ROBJOL Supporter
hartmut wrote:
For me "background noise is hellish" sounds good, than that's a real single coil Stratocaster typed single coils guitar! :D :D In Switch Positions I, III, V, when only ONE single Coil is used (in difference to Switch Positions II and IV where TWO coils are simultaneously used, while being wounded against each other to balance this out). This is different on Telecaster, i've got no experience there. If I am not wrong, Humbuckers use the same "method" to prevent humming.

When changing the spatial orientation of the instrument (sit/stand differently), and turn off electric devices like lamps or electric machinery in the surrounding, you can reduce the humming a bit?

Switch Positions I, III, V are humming positions :D, but the sound is so direct/special, I would never give it up. Those are my favorites.

PS: If the problem is on the 9 Volt power supply somewhere in your signal chain, than I can recommend Boss PSA 230S .

I have a look at the device you suggest. Thanks a lot.
+1
posted on #11
ROBJOL Supporter
LittleWing wrote:
Also try removing the cover of the wiring cavity. With the guitar plugged in , push on wires gently to see if noise changes or goes away. You will have a bad solder connection if it changes or goes away.
There is no electrocution hazard.......maybe.
Just kidding.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I will try to do what you say. But slowly.. Anyway I have another guitar with humbuckers and I don't have this problem.

Also my acoustic guitars have no problems at all.:)
posted on #12
ROBJOL Supporter
FrankieJ wrote:
Rob,
I imagine many possible answers exist for your question. I can only relate my own experiences with the problem.

This a common problem for single coils. Changing orientation of guitar usually helps.
With my strat and tele I usually try to angle the guitar away from computer and computer screen which helps. At which point I activate a "noise gate" to get rid of the remaining noise.
Fluorescent lighting and single coils usually cause problems too.

The fact that when you touch the strings and then touching another component in your signal chain
decreases the noise indicates a grounding and or shielding problem in my experience.

My Godin Acousticaster guitar exhibits the exact same problem you describe. I implement a ground strap attached to my wrist and then connected to the bridge of the guitar to rid the noise.
Unfortunately having to use a wrist strap indicates a problem within my guitar electronics which needs to be addressed by someone more knowledgeable than myself.

In summation, the problem could be in the electronics of your guitar.
Try using the guitar in a different environment, another room in your home or friends home as a test.

Hope you find the problem.

I will try your suggestions. Thanks a lot Frankie.
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
posted on #13
SoulFingers Supporter
ROBJOL wrote:
SoulFingers wrote:

I knock on wood for you Rob. These parasite noises can be really annoying ;)
+1
posted on #14
ROBJOL Supporter
SoulFingers wrote:
ROBJOL wrote:
SoulFingers wrote:

Yes!
But I started the war... I bought at Thomann copper shielding for the guitar. Also When putting the guitar in pieces I noticed that the ground under the saddle was not the right way.
+1
posted on #15
SoulFingers Supporter
ROBJOL wrote:
SoulFingers wrote:
ROBJOL wrote:
SoulFingers wrote:

Yes!
But I started the war... I bought at Thomann copper shielding for the guitar. Also When putting the guitar in pieces I noticed that the ground under the saddle was not the right way.

This should be fixed anyway. And Thomann is a solid company, but things like this can happen, Harley Benton is still great value for money. Btw, I live about 25 mins from them and every time I visit their big store I feel like a little boy in a candy shop ;)
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I support wikiloops because it is a creative platform. And most of all, there is nothing more creative than making your own music and sharing it.
donnersm from Netherlands

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Erfahre mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen.