Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Victor Wooten why there are no "wrong" notes

Victor Wooten why there are no "wrong" notes

posted on #1
Lutz
Administrator
Hi,

I stumbled upon this rare and priceless insight from Victor Wooten, a bass player I love very much.
He demonstrates why there are no wrong notes:

[youtube]1NDzJiGFuWg[/youtube]

I also loved his book "The music lesson".

Enjoy!
posted on #2
adu Supporter
Thank you Lutz! Real good Lesson for me to think....i´m not so bad! :D ;) Thanks for sharing.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #3
blubasso
Mitglied
I understand. A wrong note is full with tension, but if you use it as a pivot point to reach a right note, the previous wrong one become a "passage note". I think this is the message from Victor
posted on #4
nilton
Mitglied
I think [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fgszIDQ0cs] This other part[/url] has a lot more to say

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fgszIDQ0cs[/youtube]
posted on #5
bhunt1 Supporter
That is so cool thanks for sharing Lutz - as a bass player, if Victor says its good then it is :) If you don't get off on some 'wrong notes,' then everything you do is conventional. Sometimes you need to go a little outside of the comfort zone to be expressive.
posted on #6
TeeGee Supporter
This is cool indeed. As a matter of fact, sometimes when I jam along something, I have a little "game" I play, I simply put my finger somewhere on the fretboard, without thinking if it belongs to the scale or not, and then I go with it. And often it is one of those "wrong" notes, and I try to make something out of it :). :)
posted on #7
Wade Supporter
There's been a number of (Jazz) musicians who have had comments in the same vein. Miles Davis said "There are no wrong notes". My favorite though (which fits perfectly with this video and is succinct) is attributed to Thelonious Monk: "It's not the note you play that's the wrong note, it's the note you play afterwards that makes it right or wrong." Great demonstration of this by Victor Wooten. Thanks Lutz.
posted on #8
mpointon Supporter
Or as my drum teacher taught me: if you make a mistake, do it again and make it look like you meant to do it!
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #9
Girard
Mitglied
mpointon wrote:
Or as my drum teacher taught me: if you make a mistake, do it again and make it look like you meant to do it!

Lol I do that all the time...when I misplay what I wanted by missing a string pluck or playing the wrong note, I do it again once or twice again to make it sound intentional haha. Sometimes it works sometimes I have to start the jam all over again :)
posted on #10
MM3 Supporter
I know it's a bit late for this thread ...been listening to Victor for years ... I love this vid ...enjoy :) Anything with Victor in it is pretty much gold. And the other guys aren't so bad either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTzNK1_XJMQ
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
A fantastic site where you can share your musical ideas and developing new ones!
frankiejazz from Italy

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Erfahre mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen.