Home » Forum » Feedback and Suggestions »
Titelschutz-Urheberrecht Protection of titles

Titelschutz-Urheberrecht Protection of titles

posted on #1
Neronick
Mitglied
Why is there no protection of titles programmed in Wikiloops?

Sorry, I dare to ask you because I feel it is necessary.

To explain, I point out 3 examples: Blowing in the wind. Stormy monday blues. St. Peppers lonely hearts club band.

Most people wouldn't use these TITLES for their own composition. In german I would not use the title "Atemlos" :)

What makes the difference in Wikiloops that people can use some titles twice for independend songs? Because they are not famous? In german right the FIRST published song has the "Titelrecht". You can even protect a title WITHOUT publishing.

Because you might forget or just don't know a given old title it could be checked to stay unique in a branch before uploading. This would be s good help to stay on the legal side of life for everybody.
posted on #2
Dick Supporter
The answer is simple - because we have little interest in making life (or wikiloops) more complicated than necessary.
Most people on wikiloops do not seem to have trouble coming up with unique titles, and others choose "working titles" over unique titles. To block people calling their backing track "Blues in A minor" and to show a message "This title is protected, choose a different one!" would not make much sense.

Interesting link on the subject: [url=http://www.thelaw.com/law/are-song-titles-lyrics-protected-by-copyright-or-trademark-law.317/]here[/url]

Again, please do not confuse wikiloops with a service to proactively protect or document your creative rights, that has not been and will not become wikiloops primary objective.
You will find other services who offer that kind of record keeping and have a bunch of lawyers to make sure your precious output will not be duplicated, but that is not what wikiloops is about or offering.
One has to make up ones mind, you cannot possibly publish stuff for free (= no revenues ) and expect someone to invest into proactive legal protection.

I have never heard of any service offering that, the deal is always giving away some percentage of revenues to some musicians union or label and getting their lawyers work in return.
I've said it many times before, and it is well documented on wikiloops that you may not post music to wikiloops if there is any third party (such as these services) involved in your musical output, so it comes down to:
Either choose wikiloops for what it has to offer, or choose some professional legal representation service, you just can't have both.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #3
Neronick
Mitglied
Thanks for the fast and friendly answer, Richard. It's easy to see that you really understand what it is all about. The Wikiloops media UG decided not to give (little and clever) proactive protection.

This decision excludes some changes, too.

The "Titelschutz" is part of the "Urheberrecht". Please don't confuse this with the work of 3rd parties. No need for a discussion. You are a young man and you pay much time and money for your company. I am sure you made up your mind to follow your plans. Really no criticism. Best wishes!
posted on #4
will_C
Mitglied
Bravo!
This thread sparked an idea into my brain:
Someone should open a web-site called "wikilaw.com".
The function:
Any registered member may open a thread by drafting any virtual law(i.e. a regulation to rule social or economic behaviour). The headline of this virtual law shortly explains the objective of this virtual law (i.e. what & why to regulate).
The adds to this thread lay out scenarios, how to violate the objective without breaking the virtual law.
As the target group of such a site would be (mostly) lawyers, which commonly have enough money to spend, the use of such a site (passive or active) could be hidden behind a paywall.

Frankly speaking: This is no criticism of this thread. I'm just thinking loud (by using my fingers) and (here I match to the aim of the loops as far as I understand it) I'm having fun.

I assume, that I now should hurry, to register a trademark called "wikilaw®".
:P
posted on #5
TeeGee Supporter
Too late Will, I already registered Wikilaw as a trademark, copyright, registered design, including the logo worldwide (other than North Korea) and it is also pending for patent worldwide. I have also registered all the domain names starting from .com to .zz, and all possible versions such as wiki-law.com, wiki_law, wikilaw, walikiw.com (backwards spelling) lawawiki, wikiwiki, kikiwiki, and many more. Muhuhahahahaaaaaaa :D
posted on #6
will_C
Mitglied
but as you stated, you didn't register "위키 법".
Seems that I still have a chance to get rich. I presume, that in North Korea they will highly appreciate a site of this format. (may train them in UNO-issues ;))
posted on #7
TeeGee Supporter
Hmmm yes, NK is known to be a world leader in these two fields: Modern pop music and international pop song name protection. That is the reason I did not register these there. It would be too complicated. Also, I found out that " 위키 라 " is already registered there. Although it is not the same, it SOUNDS the same, and as we are talking about songs and music, if it sounds the same it could be the same. And if it could be the same it may be worth protecting. And suing. And as I don't know who is behind the corporation that owns it, I suspect it is state owned. And you knwow who owns the state of NK, don't you...? So you are welcome to have a tussle with them in the ICODONPOW (International court of disputes over non professional or website music titles) based in the island of Nauru ;)
posted on #8
will_C
Mitglied
Oh, very intersting, TG!
But before we spend a huge amount of not yet earned money to go to Nauru for further negotiation, we may discuss these real important legal matters on the first weekend of September in the Steinfeld monastery (I presume, that you'll be there). This will have the advantage, that we'll have God, Jesus and their fellows, if not on our side, then at least close to us.
:)
(Perhaps we'll come to the conclusion to forget about law and create a site called wikifaith.com)
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #9
TeeGee Supporter
Too late, I already registered this :) [url=https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikifaith] Wikifaith[/url]

But yes, Steinfeld, I will be there and we will discuss this for sure :D
posted on #10
mpointon Supporter
I positively enjoy the challenge of coming up with unique yet apt song titles! If it resembles a real song title, I love trying to riff on the original song title!
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I's lot of fun listening to music here and even much more fun adding own music to the wonderful tracks from the community. Therefore I'm supporter!
bleymehl from Germany

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Erfahre mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen.