"Funk"

posted on #1
Fishinmissio
Mitglied
You know...when what you play just doesn't sound good enough for you. :(:( I know one other member here that's admitted to being in one from time to time.

Just me and the other individual?

Inquiring minds wanna know :)

Wait them out like I do? How do YOU get through them?

Mark
+2
posted on #2
eGiL
Mitglied
Happens to me "all the time" ;) I run out of creativity and/or inspiration, and i lose my joy from playing. I can still play and upload, but it doesn't feel like i am doing my best or adding "the best" i could to a track...I have found taking a bit of time off from uploading or try some styles that i normal don't play to be a good treatment while i go through that phase ;)
+3
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #3
GrooveEnth
Mitglied
Oh... you mean _that_ kind of funk! Seriously though, yes, I had a bit 'slump' over summer where I was just fed up with the sound of my own playing. Playing with different people or trying different styles might help? Now that I have a few different instruments I'm finding that sometimes I'm just not in the 'mood' for one but still find it interesting to try something with a different one.

Another big issue for me was feeling that what I did had to be to a certain 'standard' to be worth uploading so then I'd just get in a vicious circle where not only did I not enjoy playing but I also wasn't getting any positive feedback for finishing the occasional piece! I still struggle with this to be honest but learning to let go. In the last few weeks we've had weekend 'party nights'* where loads of people have piled on the same tunes. That's been a lot of fun and I've found it is good for forcing me to focus more on just playing for fun rather than for any more serious reason.

*Watch the shoutbox, Fri and Sat EU evening. (I'm sure some of the US contingent will keep it going through the night though!)
+4
posted on #4
pconey
Mitglied
Interesting subject...some people say they have writers block, lose their mojo, inspiration etc etc. I've just come out of a band I was in for 12 years, I won't say it got "stale" but I was ready for a new start. There comes a time in your musical development, where you *must* try out new things, otherwise you just end up trudging through the same old stuff, but this is just my view though. We (or most of us) all love beatles, stones, miles davis, mozart or whatever personal favourite you have in your chosen field, but you know - take a chance, if you've never explored jazz from holland or the 80s manchester scene, or the Brazilian psychedelic rock of the late 60s, you'll find new sounds, guitar licks, drums grooves that are new, and "new" freshens you up. They have studied music and showed that the brain rewards you for hearing new sounds. Go and watch a live band, or a live dvd, or check out a genre you've never given a chance. All of a sudden a massive world of exciting things opens up. something else that is worth doing - treat yourself to a new toy, guitar drums whatever, or try something totally crazy. Having "youtube" afternoons often gives you ideas too, have a look for an artist you've never heard. Lots of things you can do and try!!!
+6
posted on #5
Wade Supporter
Hopefully there's just two general kinds of "blue funk musical depression". 1. You don't enjoy playing; 2. You don't think what you've played is good enough.

The first one is the toughest. If you're not "engaged" and enjoying playing then the second one is always going to be true as well. There's already some good suggestions that have been made: rebooting your inspiration; new instrument; changes in style/scene, or just giving it all a rest.

The second type (which sounds more like Mark's complaint) is about judgement and not feeling that either you or your music is worthy. This one can be a problem for uploading, but only if you are comparing yourself to others or think you're not playing up to some standard you've set. IMHO we are all learning and some of us even getting better! If you are OK with #1 (enjoying playing) then the world can be right. It's a matter of self acceptance to know that you are not the best player of your instrument and that there can always be improvement. What many can hear is whether the player is "engaged" and enjoying themselves. We can also hear when players are trying to be technical, impress, and struggling. It's easier to be "in the music" (the zone) when your ego is left behind which also means you are not thinking about those self judgements.

Now, lets say you have laid down a track that you did enjoy playing, but on playback think it's not that good. We have all been there. Four logical choices: 1. Post it anyway (will you be sorry after the fact?); 2. Edit it (if it's possible to fix problems to your satisfaction),then post; 3. Put it in storage to deal with in the future; 4. Abandon it with/without remorse. Each of these steps has varying degrees of attachment and any of them may be right for the circumstances.

Disentangling one's ego I see as the most important aspect to playing without remorse or depression and letting the music lead and sweep you along.

It's much better to be occasionally in a funk than delusional. Nothing worse than hearing someone who is all ego,thinks whatever they post is great, when it's not.
+6
posted on #6
c-bass
Mitglied
Hello,

Very interesting Thread.

In my case, since I'm a more active "user" of wikiloops, I've often the same feeling.

Not all the time, by often I choose a track
1- it sounds good in my head
2- I'm not familiar with the style / Chords and key ( the best and coolest way to challenge myself)

due to the second point of course, I'm often disappointed with the result.

But I've noticed an another thing :
I work and work on the track, and the the page stay white, or the result is not pleasant, I work again always on the same track.... and finaly It's not a good moment for me, it's frustrating, I'm angry against the track, myself ^^

Now I prefer select 3 or more nice tracks, I play a moment on each, record the "good ideas " I don't care if it's not perfect " groove, notes " . I take more time to just listen the track, again and again.
And if I have no idea, or pleasant budding groove.... I leave the track behind me.

Like a good wine, I let the track decant and come back to it the next day.

I take more fun, and best result when I work this way.

My humble contribution, I'm still an eternal noobs in music.

ps : and when it doesn't work like that, I left my bass guitar on the stand and take time to listen other wikiloopers, or learn music theory.
+1
posted on #7
mpointon Supporter
Happens all the time for me. Some days, everything breezes into place, other days it's an uphill struggle to play anything other than stilted rubbish.

I guess it's mood-related to an extent and me, being so hyper-critical of the playing standard I expect of myself, makes things worse on a bad day. On a bad day, I'm ready to take my drums outside and have a bonfire... There's nothing worse than your body not delivering on what you know should be able to do!

As C-Bass says, I have to leave it and come back when my mood is better. It's the only way. Many times have I dropped doing a loop because it just wasn't working and everything I play sounds like someone has chucked the kit down a fire escape.

Yet the next day, I might sail through the same track...

Although my failing arms/wrists/shoulders (it's spread) are proving a seriously compounding problem. They're just not getting any better... :|
+1
posted on #8
nilton
Mitglied
I think it happens to anyone trying to evolve. Not only music.
For me there is only one cure: keep on practising (actually its more complicated than this, you will have to review your practice routine etc)

But here is the thing that very few people tell you: What you practice today will have its full effect in two or three weeks time. I'm not joking here, and i have found this to be true for all kinds of subjects, physical training, music, maths, language etc.

Sadly today's world is full of quick fixes that lead people astray. But think about it, do you have to upload your remix today? Or will it suffice in a week or two? Who will know when you first listened to it and decided to make a remix?
+2
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Shop besuchen
posted on #9
c-bass
Mitglied
Hello,

I told in my previous post " when it doesn't work like that, I left my bass guitar on the stand and take time to listen other wikiloopers, or learn music theory." it's sooooo true now I'm user of wikiloops.
I enjoy to discover styles of music, and set myself some little challenge /goals. Go out of my " comfort zone" .

I have 2 examples :
https://www.fr.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-115833.php
this mix, the first time was not easy, my knowledge in latin music was really poor .
I've take time to listen, go on youtube, learn about the " clave " in latin music.
Ok it's maybe not the best latin bassline you will hear in your life. But the first time I play it, I was so confused and out of groove, because I don't have all the keys.
A little goal, but I'm quite happy with this mix.

and for the moment I'm working on this one : https://www.fr.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-40362.php

, I've made some recordings, there are ugly..... Knowledge in jazzy style = zero
Theory knowledge = bad .... chord b6/9 am 9 ?? what's that ?

So new challenge, probably a lot of work, and a lot of music to listen :)
posted on #10
mpointon Supporter
nilton wrote:
I think it happens to anyone trying to evolve. Not only music.
For me there is only one cure: keep on practising (actually its more complicated than this, you will have to review your practice routine etc)

But here is the thing that very few people tell you: What you practice today will have its full effect in two or three weeks time. I'm not joking here, and i have found this to be true for all kinds of subjects, physical training, music, maths, language etc.

Sadly today's world is full of quick fixes that lead people astray. But think about it, do you have to upload your remix today? Or will it suffice in a week or two? Who will know when you first listened to it and decided to make a remix?

And that's part of the problem for me: I just don't practice any more. I just play and rely on the techniques I've already learned to get me through. Wikiloops is my practice. On the plus side it gives me inspiration, ideas I wouldn't think of, prevents repetition and introduces a random element to the playing routine keeping things more interesting. The downside is that I'm not working at all on core technique per se.

Although, in my honest opinion, the most important and significant change in my playing came when I stopped playing for a few years at the turn of the century. Before I stopped playing, I was a highly technical player with very precise and fast rudiments. But I'd say mechanical with it.

When I came back to drums and my technique had lots of rough edges, I found I was a far more musical player, using technique to access what my heart said to play rather than technique for technique's sake.

Quite hard to describe, really...
+1
posted on #11
nilton
Mitglied
mpointon wrote: And that's part of the problem for me: I just don't practice any more....
When I came back to drums and my technique had lots of rough edges, I found I was a far more musical player, using technique to access what my heart said to play rather than technique for technique's sake.

Quite hard to describe, really...

Practice is so much more than technique, but that takes some more elaboration. Here's a simple one: practice to smile while playing difficult passages

Or listen to what this guy has to say about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G3zDCf8Mzc
+1
posted on #12
Anon518
Mitglied
You don't get through them...you do your own thing :)
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Many thanks for creating this amazing site,its every jammers dream,so many great musicians to record with. Thanks again.
petebass from England

wikiloops.com verwendet Cookies um Dir die beste Nutzererfahrung zu ermöglichen.
Erfahre mehr in unseren Datenschutzbestimmungen.